12/15/2010

Advent Ark 2


"But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will        come.”              (Mt. 24:36-39, 42)   

My Dear Friends,

   I do hope that you found the “Advent Ark” series thought provoking. Christ Jesus will be coming again! We are to be ready.
   Now few things in this earthly life are absolutely certain. But one thing for certain and undebatable is death. Every man, even the atheist will admit this. Death, however is not the very last event in this life ours. If we have honestly done our best and follow the commandments of God, we shall be rewarded with a perfect life of heaven. If, however, we have disregarded God's loving directions and refuse to make use of His generous help, we shall be condemned to hell. We want to live each day as we would want to live the last day of our life. Too many have died suddenly and unprepared. "The Son of Man will come at that hour when He is not expected."
   How many have deceived themselves into thinking that they still had plenty of time. And they were snatched unexpectedly from this life. Death, with all its uncertainties, is the fact. 
   How sad to see so many young people looking only to the joys and satisfactions of this world. But perhaps we remember when our thinking was at one time like theirs “why think about heaven or hell, when death is still so far off?” Now being older and hopefully wiser worldlings, we know how brief and even disappointing some of life’s pleasures can be. The one who lives only for what this life can offer is due to face great disappointment.
   It is possible for the prayerful person to gain some heavenly liberty from this earthly life while still in it. (Jn.17:15-16) But believe this….this liberty cannot be understood by the worldly person.
   We think straight on so many things, but when it comes to thinking about eternity, our thinking slows down or stops altogether. God does not forbid us the enjoyments of earthly life, as long as we use them intelligently and rightly; keeping in mind that God asks us to prepare ourselves for eternity. “Keep building your ark” by a life of goodness and wisdom on earth.                                                                                                     Al T.

   Let us pray: My God, in You I place all my hopes and desires. To You, I offer all my sorrows, trials, and disappointments. Let me never treasurer what can take me away from You; nor desire anything which can keep me from doing Your holy will. No one, nor any created things can take Your place in my life. Stay with me and teach me how to live my life in union with You. Enlighten me, strengthen me, and correct me, so that I may seek You  first in love… You above all else… Amen

                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment