2/08/2009

SPIRITUAL HUGS


“SPIRITUAL HUGS”

This blog is dedicated to Myrtle Eppler. Myrtle was one of the founders of Vermilion Foursquare Church and eventually also became pastor of the church. Presently, at a vivacious 93 years of age, she is still helping others discover the fullness and glory of God by teaching a Sunday school class at Amherst Family Fellowship Foursquare Church.
I am a great admirer of Lorain’s own, Helen Steiner Rice (1900-1981), often referred to as the "poet laureate of inspirational verse.” I believe you will agree that the following poem by Helen Steiner Rice helps express the sentiments of the many fortunate of us who know Myrtle Eppler.
As the years go hurrying by, I pause and think anew
How fortunate I was to meet a kind, wise friend like you.
And I am but one of many who owe a lot to you,
For all the help you've given, and time and effort too.
And this is just a welcome chance to tell you that you've won
The real success in life for the fine things you have done.

Myrtle made reference to all the “spiritual hugs” she has received over the years. I thought this was such a pleasantly quaint way of speaking of blessings that go unnoticed everyday by many of us.
An example in my own case happened just yesterday. I was working on getting my old tractor started just in case I needed it for some unexpected reason (and let me add here that I’m not mechanically inclined) and lo and behold I was, with my very limited skill, successful. As I see it, definitely a spiritual hug.

As you and I look back on our lives I bet we can find many small events that while it may look like happenstance, or something born of lucky chance was indeed a “spiritual hug.”
Here then is another poem and some scripture I think appropriate to this paper’s theme:
Thank You God for little things that often come our way. The things we take for granted but don't mention when we pray. The unexpected courtesy, the thoughtful, kindly deed. A hand reached out to help us in the time of sudden need.Oh, make us more aware, dear God; of little daily graces, that come to us with a “spiritual hug,” from never-dreamed-of places.

• Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits... Psalms 68:19

• Hunble yourself therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he mar exalt you in due time; Casting all your care upon him: for he careth for you.... 1Pet. 5: 6-7

I pray the hope and joy of ..Shalom.. for you and yours

No comments:

Post a Comment