2/22/2009

A Treasure of Serendipity Thoughts


Every week I leave with you some sort of handout hoping that it might stimulate your thinking and perhaps even encourage some discussion.

I share a lot of quotations with you because I think the amount of wisdom packed in some short quotations surprising and even at times astonishing. I find it interesting, and I perhaps you’ll also agree; often we are likely to find insightful and even reverent “treasure” in some surprising places.

Perhaps John 3:16, that states, “God so loved the world” which would include all of humanity, gives us a clue as to how so many have a degree of “light” we can benefit from. No one is wise enough by themselves. Sometimes one single ray of light will energize the whole mental life of the one who receives it

I hope you enjoy, share, discuss and find some inspiration with stimulated thought in the following “found gems of thought”. Al T.

• The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives. Albert Einstein

• Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them. Aristotle

• He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. Jim Elliot

• Memory is a child walking along the seashore. You never can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things. Pierce Harris

• If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
Dalai Lama

• Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant. Robert Louis Stevenson

• I know God promises not to give me more than I can handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

• We are building may splendid churches in this country, but we are not providing leaders to run them. I would rather have a wooden church with a splendid parson, than a splendid church with a wooden parson. ... Samuel Smith Drury

Shalom

1 comment:

  1. I love the quotes. Mind if I add an observation and a couple quotes ? Ben Israel wrote that Israel is the core of the world, there to irritate it, exaserbate it, move it. Like a foreign substance, like a living yeast...it gives the world no quiet, has no quiet itself."
    "Forgiveness is giving up all hope of haing a different past." Annie Lamont
    "Life is spiritual and "matter of fact" at the same time." Ben Israel(again)

    ReplyDelete